When the screen is locked you have to unlock it with a swipe gesture or with your personal pattern, PIN, password or fingerprint. Initially, the unprotected screen swipe is set, but it is recommended to use a more secure screen lock to protect your device.
The security level of each lock type is listed below in order of weakest to strongest:
- Swipe: no protection, but you have quick access to the Home screen.
- Pattern: draw a simple pattern with your finger to unlock your device.
- PIN: enter a numeric PIN of at least four digits to unlock your device.
- Password: enter an alpha-numeric password to unlock your device.
- Fingerprint: place your registered finger on the sensor to unlock your device.
The Smart Lock feature lets you set your device to unlock automatically in certain situations, such as when connected to a Bluetooth device or carrying your device with you. For more information, go to http://www.support.google.com/.
To create or change a screen lock
It is very important that you remember your screen lock when using a pattern, PIN or password. If you forget this information, it may not be possible to restore important data such as contacts and messages.
- Find and tap Settings > Lock screen & security > Screen lock.
- If requested, confirm your current screen lock.
- Choose an option and follow the on-screen instructions.
- When you are finished, press the power key to lock the screen.