Why do I need a Google account?
Your device from Sony runs on the Android platform developed by Google. A range of Google applications and services is available on your device when you purchase it, for example, Gmail, Google Maps, YouTube, and the Google Play application. To get the most out of these services, you need a Google account. For example, a Google account enables you to do the following:
- Download and install applications on Google Play.
- Synchronise your email, contacts, and calendar using Gmail.
- You can back up, restore and transfer your data from an old device to your new device.
- Chat with friends using the Google Duo application.
- Synchronise your browsing history and bookmarks using the Chrome web browser.
- Identify yourself as the authorised user after a software repair using Xperia Companion.
- Remotely find, lock, or clear a lost or stolen device using the Find my device services.
For more information, go to http://support.google.com/.
To set up a Google account on your device
- Find and tap Settings > Accounts > Add account > Google.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create a Google account, or sign in if you already have an account.