Resetting and restarting
You can reset your device to its original factory settings, with or without deleting all of your personal data. This action is sometimes necessary if your device stops functioning properly. You can also force your device to shut down in situations where it hangs or won't restart normally. When you restart a device after forcing it to shut down, no settings or personal data get deleted.
Before you perform a reset, make sure to back up any important data saved on your device.
To perform a factory data reset
To avoid permanent damage to your device, do not restart your device while a reset procedure is underway.
- Drag the status bar downwards, then tap .
- Find and tap Backup & reset> Factory data reset.
- If you also want to erase data such as pictures and music, which is saved to your device's internal storage, mark the Erase internal storage checkbox.
- Tap Reset phone.
- To confirm, tap Erase everything.
To force the device to shut down
- Detach the cover of the micro SIM card slot.
- Using the tip of a pen or a similar object, press and hold down the OFF button until the device shuts down.
Do not use overly sharp objects that could damage the OFF button.