I cannot update my device software using a computer
- Make sure that the screen of your device is unlocked, and that File Transfer is selected as the Use USB for setting under USB Preferences.
To set Use USB for to File transfer
- Make sure that your device is connected to a computer using a USB cable.
- From your Home screen, drag the status bar downwards.
- Find and tap Android System next to (USB icon).
- Tap Tap for more options , and then select File Transfer .
- When updating your device software using Xperia Companion, make sure your computer has access to the internet.
- If your computer has a firewall, make sure that the firewall doesn’t prevent the relevant update applications from running.
Checking the firewall
Check your firewall and make sure that the applications listed below are allowed to access the internet.
If you are using a PC:
Sony Mobile Update Engine.exe
Xperia Companion Agent.exe
If you are using a Mac computer:
Sony Mobile Update Engine.app
Xperia Companion Agent.app
- If you are trying to update your device when connected to a corporate network, you might be using a proxy server. Contact your network administrator for further assistance.
- Make sure that you are using an original Sony USB Type-C cable specifically intended for your device and that it is properly connected to the device and computer.
- Make sure that the USB cable isn’t damaged. Try using another USB port on your computer.
- If your device has a memory card, disconnect your device from the computer and unmount the memory card. Then remove the memory card from your device, and connect your device to the computer again.
To unmount the memory card
- Find and tap Settings > Storage .
- Find and tap (Eject icon) beside SD card .