My Device Freezes or Applications Suddenly Shut Down
- Downloaded applications can cause your device to behave unexpectedly or affect its performance. Use safe mode to check if any downloaded applications are causing the problem. In safe mode, your device only starts with software and applications that were already installed when you purchased your device. If the device’s performance improves in safe mode, it’s likely that one or more of your post-purchase downloaded applications are affecting the device negatively. You can exit safe mode and restart the device to uninstall the application or applications that you suspect are causing the problem. If the problem is recent and you're not sure which application is causing the problem, you can start by uninstalling the most recently downloaded application.
To enable Safe mode
- While the device is turned on, press and hold down the power key.
- In the dialog that appears, touch and hold Power off until the device starts to shut down.
- Wait for the device to restart in Safe mode .
To exit safe mode, restart the device.
To uninstall an application from the Application screen
Only downloaded apps can be fully uninstalled.
- Touch and hold the app icon until the device vibrates.
- In the menu that opens, tap > OK .
- Update your device to ensure you have optimal performance and the latest enhancements. Read more about how to update and find latest software version.
- Perform a factory data reset. This is sometimes the best solution if your device stops functioning properly, but note that it will delete all personal content saved on the internal memory of your device. Be sure to back up data you want to keep.
To back up your data using a computer
- Make sure Xperia™ Companion is installed on your PC or Mac ®.
- Connect your device to the computer using a USB Type-C™ cable.
- Computer : Open the Xperia™ Companion software if it is not automatically launched. After a few moments, the computer detects your device.
- Make sure that the USB connection mode on your Xperia™ device is set to Transfer files .
- Select Backup on the Xperia™ Companion main screen and follow the on-screen instructions.
To perform a factory data reset
To avoid permanent damage to your device, do not interrupt a factory data reset procedure.
- Back up any important data that is saved on the internal memory of your device to a memory card or other non-internal memory. If you have any encrypted files stored on an SD card, you should also remove the encryption to ensure you can still access them after the reset.
- Find and tap Settings > System > Reset .
- Tap Factory data reset > Reset phone .
- If required, draw your screen unlock pattern or enter your screen unlock password or PIN to continue.
- To confirm, tap Erase everything .
Your device does not revert to an earlier software version of Android when you perform a factory data reset.