Maintenance using a computer
Xperia™ Companion is a software service which provides a collection of tools and applications you can use when you connect your device to a computer. With Xperia™ Companion, you can:
- Update or repair your device’s software.
- Transfer your content from an old device using Xperia™ Transfer.
- Back up and restore content on your computer.
- Sync multimedia content – photos, videos, music and playlists – between your device and computer.
- Browse files on your device.
To use Xperia™ Companion, you need an internet-connected computer running one of the following operating systems:
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 or later
- Mac OS® X 10.11 or later
Managing files using a computer
Use a USB cable connection between a Windows® computer and your device to transfer and manage your files.
Once the two devices are connected, you can choose if you want to charge your device, transfer files, use it as a power supply or use it for MIDI input. Your computer will detect your device when you select the Transfer files (MTP) connection mode. The default connection mode is set to Charging only.
With Xperia™ Companion you can access the file system of your device. If you do not have Xperia™ Companion installed, you are requested to install it when you connect your device to the computer.
Always use a USB cable intended for your specific Xperia™ model and make sure it is completely dry.
USB connection mode
You can use the Transfer files (MTP) connection mode for managing files and updating device software. This USB mode is used with Microsoft® Windows® computers. Charging is enabled by default.
Using the MIDI mode, your device can function as a MIDI input for musical instrument apps.
To change USB connection mode
- Attach a USB connector to your device.
- Drag the Status bar downwards to access the Notifications panel.
- A notification shows the current correction mode, USB for charging or USB for file transfer.
- Tap the notification, then tap the desired connection mode.