Volume, vibration and sound
The volume and vibration can be changed either by using the volume keys or by changing a setting. Sounds and tones can only be changed from a setting.
App settings can override the selected volume, vibration and sound settings.
Volume and vibration
You can use the volume key to quickly change the ring, media or alarm volumes. Additionally, you can set your device to vibrate or activate a Do not disturb option to mute sounds and vibrations. For more information about Do not disturb , see Silence your device with Do not disturb.
The ring volume affects incoming calls and notifications, and the media volume affects music, videos, games and other media. For example, if you change the volume while watching a video, the media volume is changed. The alarm volume is indicated with .
To change the volume
- Press the volume key up or down. This changes the ring and notification volume.
- To change the media or alarm volumes, tap . Use the sliders to adjust the volumes.
Tap a volume icon to quickly turn the volume on or off.
To activate vibration or Do not disturb mode
- Press and hold the volume key down until appears to activate vibrate mode.
- Release the volume key and press it down again to activate Do not disturb mode.
To activate sound with vibration for incoming calls
- Find and tap Settings > Sound.
- Tap the Also vibrate for calls slider to enable the function.
Sounds and tones
To set the ringtone
- Find and tap Settings > Sound > Phone ringtone.
- Dual SIM users, select a SIM card.
- Select an option from the list or tap and select a music file that is saved on your device.
- To confirm, tap DONE.
To set a specific ringtone for a contact, see Adding and editing contacts. Dual SIM users can set different ringtones for each SIM card.
To set the notification sound
- Find and tap Settings > Sound > Notification sound.
- Select a sound from the list or select None to turn off all notification sounds and set your notifications to vibrate only.
- To select a music file that is saved on your device, tap .
- To confirm, tap DONE.
You can change your app settings to allow a sound from a specific app even when the notification sound is set to None . See Notifications.
To enable or disable other sounds and tones
- Find and tap Settings > Sound > Advanced.
- Tap the sliders to enable or disable the different sounds and tones.