My device freezes or applications suddenly shut down
- Downloaded applications can cause your device to behave unexpectedly or affect its performance. Use safe mode to check if any downloaded applications are causing the problem. In safe mode, your device only starts with software and applications that were already installed when you purchased your device. If the device’s performance improves in safe mode, it’s likely that one or more of your post-purchase downloaded applications are affecting the device negatively. You can exit safe mode and restart the device to uninstall the application or applications that you suspect are causing the problem. If the problem is recent and you're not sure which application is causing the problem, you can start by uninstalling the most recently downloaded application.
To enable safe mode
- Turn off your device.
- Press and hold down the power key until the device vibrates.
- When the Sony and Xperia™ logotypes appear, press and hold the Volume down key until Safe mode appears on the screen.
To exit safe mode, restart the device.
To uninstall an application from the Application screen
- Touch and hold any area on the Application screen until the device vibrates. All applications that can be uninstalled are then indicated by .
- Select the application that you want to uninstall, then tap Delete.
Some apps indicated by can only be disabled and not uninstalled. Disabling an app deletes all data, but the app can be enabled again from Settings > Apps.
- Update your device to ensure that you have optimal performance and the latest enhancements. Read more about how to update and find latest software version.
- Perform a factory data reset. This is sometimes the best solution if your device stops functioning properly, but note that it will delete all personal content saved on the internal memory of your device. Make sure to back up data that you want to keep.
To back up your data using a computer
- Make sure that Xperia™ Companion for Windows or Mac OS is installed on your PC or Mac®.
- Connect your device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Computer: Open the Xperia™ Companion software. After a few moments, the computer detects your device.
- Select Backup on the main screen.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to back up data from your device.
To perform a factory data reset
- Back up any important data that is saved on the internal memory of your device to a memory card or other non-internal memory.
- From your Home screen, tap .
- Find and tap Settings > Backup & reset > Factory data reset.
- Tap Reset phone.
- If required, draw your screen unlock pattern or enter your screen unlock password or PIN to continue.
- To confirm, tap Erase everything.
To avoid permanent damage to your device, do not interrupt factory data reset procedure.
After the factory data reset you will lose access to all the encrypted files on your SD card.
Your device does not revert to an earlier software version of Android™ when you perform a factory data reset.