Backing up and transferring data using a computer
It is recommended to back up your data to a computer when you have large volumes of media files, such as photos, videos, music files. You can also transfer your data from an old device to your new device, by connecting both devices to the computer at the same time. Use a USB cable connection between a Windows computer and your device to transfer and manage your files.
To connect to a computer using a USB cable
- Connect your device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Drag down the status bar, and then tap Android System next to (USB icon).
- Tap Tap for more options. Your computer will detect your device once you tap File Transfer.
Always use a USB cable intended for your specific Xperia model and make sure it is completely dry.
To back up your data using a computer
- Unlock the screen of your device and connect your device to the computer using a USB cable.
- On the computer, select which files to back up, then copy and paste or drag and drop the files to a location on your computer.
To transfer files from your old device to new device
- Unlock the screen of your device and connect both your old device and new device to a computer using a USB cable.
- On the computer, select which files to transfer from your old device, then copy and paste or drag and drop the files to a location on your new device.
When you copy files from your old device to the new device, make sure that the folder names are the same on both devices.