Why do I need a Google account?
Your device from Sony runs on the Android platform developed by Google. A range of Google applications and services is available on your device when you purchase it, for example, Gmail™, Google Maps™, YouTube™, and the Google Play application. To get the most out of these services, you need a Google account. For example, a Google account enables you to do the following:
- Download and install applications on Google Play.
- Synchronise your email, contacts, and calendar using Gmail.
- You can back up, restore and transfer your data from an old device to your new device.
- Chat with friends using the Google Duo™ application.
- Synchronise your browsing history and bookmarks using the Google Chrome™ web browser.
- Identify yourself as the authorised user after a software repair using Xperia Companion.
- Remotely find, lock, or clear a lost or stolen device using the Find my device services.
For more information about Android and Google, go to http://support.google.com.
To set up a Google account on your device
- Find and tap Settings > Accounts > Add account > Google.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create a Google account, or sign in if you already have an account.