Battery and power management
Your device has an embedded battery. To get the most use from it, keep track of the power consumed by different applications and features. You can also use Battery Care to increase the battery’s lifetime. Background power-saving features are activated by default to help you further reduce battery consumption, and additional power-saving modes are available to help you reduce battery consumption when necessary.
Power-saving features lower the priority of certain non-essential device functions. If you do not want an application to be affected, you can make it exempt in the Power-saving exceptions menu. Phone calls and SMS are not affected.
System updates may change the power-saving features available on your device.
To review your battery consumption
- Find and tap Settings > Battery to view the estimated remaining battery percentage and battery time.
- Tap Advanced for more details about battery usage.
To view battery consumption for applications
- Find and tap Settings > Apps & notifications.
- Select an application and review its battery consumption under Advanced > Battery.
General usage tips to improve battery performance
The following tips can help you improve battery performance:
- Lower the screen brightness level, see Screen settings.
- Turn off Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and location services when you don’t need these features.
- Turn off your device or use Airplane mode if you are in an area with no or low network coverage. Otherwise, your device repeatedly scans for available networks, and this consumes power.
- Use a Wi-Fi network instead of roaming when abroad. Roaming is scanning for your home network and puts additional demands on your battery as your device must transmit with a higher output power, see Wi-Fi .
- Change the synchronisation settings for your email, calendar and contacts.
- Check the applications that have a high battery consumption and consider the battery saving tips provided on your device for these applications.
- Change the notification level for an application, see Notifications.
- Turn off the Ambient display, see Ambient display settings .
- Turn off the location-sharing permission for an application, see Application settings.
- Uninstall applications that you are not using, see Application screen.
- Use a Sony original handsfree device to listen to music. Handsfree devices consume less battery than your device’s loudspeakers.
- Restart your device every now and then.
To make specific applications exempt from optimisation
You can make applications exempt from being optimised.
- Find and tap Settings > Battery.
- Tap (More icon) and select Power-saving exceptions. You will see a list of applications that are not optimised.
- To add or remove applications from this exemption list, tap APPS and select or de-select an application from the list to edit its exception settings.
- The list of applications that are exempt will get updated according to your settings.
You can also configure Power-saving exceptions from Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced > Special app access > Power-saving feature.
Depending on the STAMINA level, different features will be restricted or disabled in order to reduce battery consumption. These include rendering performance, animation and screen brightness, image enhancement, background app data synchronising, vibration except for incoming calls, streaming and GPS while the screen is off. (STAMINA mode icon) appears in the status bar.
The device will suggest that you activate STAMINA mode if the battery is likely to run out before the next expected charging session. Tap Settings > Battery > STAMINA mode > Smart STAMINA notification, and then tap the switch to enable or disable this function.
To activate STAMINA mode
- Find and tap Settings > Battery > STAMINA mode.
- Tap Activate now or the Activate automatically switch.
- When you tap the Activate automatically switch, adjust the auto-start percentage according to your preferences.
- Tap STAMINA level to select the desired level.
You can exempt applications from being optimised by STAMINA mode in the Power-saving feature menu.
Ultra STAMINA mode
Your battery time is extensively prolonged, but available applications are limited and mobile data and Wi-Fi are disabled. Calling and SMS are still available. Your Home screen is changed and (Ultra STAMINA mode icon) appears in the status bar.
To activate Ultra STAMINA mode
- Find and tap Settings > Battery.
- Tap Ultra STAMINA mode and then tap Activate.
- Tap OK.
You cannot exempt applications from being optimised by Ultra STAMINA mode.
To deactivate Ultra STAMINA mode
- Drag down the status bar to access the Notification panel.
- Tap the notification Ultra STAMINA mode active.
- Tap OK.
Deactivating Ultra STAMINA mode will restart your device.
Use Battery Care to increase the lifespan of your battery. This feature detects your charging patterns and estimates the start and end time of your regular charging period. The charging rate is controlled so that your battery reaches 100% just before you disconnect the charger. You can also set a start and end time for the charging period manually.
Battery Care will not control the charging rate until it detects a regular charging cycle of at least 4 hours over a period of several days.
To enable or disable Battery Care
- Find and tap Settings > Battery > Battery Care.
- Tap the switch to enable or disable Battery Care. Auto is selected by default.
- To manually set a start and end time for the charging period, tap Custom, and then set the start and end times.
Learned patterns of the regular charging cycle are saved by Battery Care. Even if the function has been disabled, it adopts to the learned patterns after enabling the function again.