The Screen Stays Dark after I End a Call
When you hold your Xperia™ device to your ear during a conversation, the screen is turned off to prevent you from unintentionally activating the touchscreen. If you experience the screen not turning back on when you move the device away from your ear, try the following:
- As a temporary solution, press the power key lightly. If the screen isn’t turned back on, press the power key again.
- Make sure you have removed the temporary protection film that covered the screen when you first bought your Xperia™ device. The film is only designed to protect the screen during shipping and is easy to peel off.
- If you have applied a screen protection film on your device, make sure it is specifically intended for your Xperia™ model. It is important that the screen protection film has holes that are accurately placed so the proximity sensor is not blocked. To verify the exact location of the proximity sensor for your Xperia™ model, refer to the overview illustration in the User guide.
- Turn off your device and then turn it back on. By doing this, you turn off all running applications and free up memory, which sometimes automatically solves the issue.
- Update your device to ensure you have optimal performance and the latest enhancements. Read more about how to update and find latest software version.
- Use the Xperia™ Companion computer application to perform a software repair to reset your device. Note that all data is deleted from the internal storage of your device when you perform a software repair. Content you have saved on an external SD card, like photos, videos, and music, is not deleted.
To back up your data using a computer
- Be sure that Xperia™ Companion is installed on your PC or Mac®.
- Connect your device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Computer: Open the Xperia™ Companion software if it is not automatically launched. After a few moments, the computer will detect your device.
- Select Backup on the main screen.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to back up data from your device.
To repair the device software using Xperia™ Companion
If possible, you should always back up all personal data before performing a software repair. All data in the internal memory is overwritten during a software repair. Content on an external SD card is kept.
- Make sure Xperia™ Companion is installed on your PC or Mac®.
- Open the Xperia™ Companion software on the computer, but do not connect your Xperia™ device until you're told to in the five-step instructions in the Xperia™ Companion window.
- Select Software repair on the computer screen.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall the software and complete the repair.