I cannot update my device software using a computer
- Make sure that the screen of your device is unlocked, and that the USB connection mode on the device is set to Transfer files. The default connection mode is always set to Charging only. For a computer to detect your device, select the Transfer files connection mode every time you connect the device to a computer.
To set the USB connection mode to transfer files
- Make sure that your device is connected to a computer via a USB Type-C cable.
- From your Home screen , drag the status bar downwards.
- Find and tap USB charging this device , then select Transfer files .
- When updating your device software using Xperia™ Companion, your computer must have access to the internet. Visit any website, for example, www.sonymobile.com , to verify that the computer can access the internet. If there is no internet connection, check the cable, router and the internet service provider.
- If your computer has a firewall, make sure that the firewall doesn't prevent the relevant update applications from running.
Checking the firewall
Check your firewall and make sure that the applications listed below are allowed to access the internet.
If you are using a PC:
Sony Mobile Update Engine.exe
Xperia Companion Agent.exe
If you are using a Mac computer:
Sony Mobile Update Engine.app
Xperia Companion Agent.app
- If you are trying to update your device when connected to a corporate network, you might be using a proxy server. Contact your network administrator for further assistance.
- Make sure that you are using an original Sony USB Type-C cable specifically intended for your device and that it is properly connected to the device and computer.
- Make sure that the USB cable isn't damaged. Try using another USB port on your computer.
- If your device has a memory card, disconnect your device from the computer and unmount the memory card. Then remove the memory card from your device, and connect your device to the computer again.
To unmount the memory card
- From your Home screen , tap .
- Find and tap Settings > Storage & memory > > Advanced > Storage .
- Find and tap beside SD Card .
- If you still experience problems when trying to update your device software using Xperia™ Companion, contact us .