Your device has sensors on the sides that you can tap or slide with one hand in order to use your device more easily. You can display the Side sense menu as a shortcut to applications and settings, or the Multi-window menu to select two applications in the split-screen mode. You can also return to the previous screen by sliding down along the sensor. Make sure to tap or slide your finger within the sensor area. To learn more about Side sense, find and tap Settings > Display > Advanced > Side sense > TRY SIDE SENSE TUTORIAL.
You can change the touch position, for example, when the edge of the device is covered by a case. To change the touch position, find and tap Settings > Display > Advanced > Side sense > Configure touch position > Manual, and then tap the Operate on inner edge of screen switch.
Side sense is unavailable in certain situations, such as when the screen view is in landscape orientation.
To display the Side sense menu
- To activate the Side sense menu, double-tap the side of the device.
To exit the Side sense menu, double-tap the side of the device or tap an empty area on the screen.
To display the Multi-window menu
- Slide your finger up along the side of the device to display the Multi-window menu.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add apps to a split-screen.
To return to the previous screen using the side sensor
- Slide your finger down along the side of the device to return to the previous screen.
To turn Side sense on or off, or set other Side sense options
- Find and tap Settings > Display > Advanced.
- Tap Side sense.
- Tap the switch to enable or disable the function. To edit other Side sense options, follow the on-screen instructions in the lower part of the screen.
For example, the following options are available for Side sense.
- Whether to use Side sense on one or both sides of your device
- The screen actions for gesture
- Whether to use Side sense on the inner edge of the screen or the side of the device